Saramej which was once called Chotur dates back to 1860s. Its inhabitants have come from not far – only 3 or 4 km away is Jrashen, the neighbouring village, from which people have come to Saramej and settled down. This means that the people of Saramej as well as those of Jrashen come from Moosh; their ancestors have migrated in 1823 and settled down in ancient valley of Bazoom.
In 1903 the construction of the church, which was started in 1903, was finished, a parochial school was founded and the literacy entered the village. During the World War II Chotur, having only 200 families, sent to the battle front 268 young people, 75 of whom sacrificed their lives, devoting themselves to the great affair of throwing the German invaders away from our native lands. According to the census of 2001 there were 1407 permanent inhabitants in Saramej and the number of present inhabitants was 1119.
The Four-year school, operating after the war, turned into a seven-year and later into an eight-year school. Though, the schoolchildren of Saramej had to walk several kilometers to go to school in Jrashen and back home because of the abcense of the 9th and 10th forms in the school, neither the schoolchildren nor their parents protested, as Jrashen had become very native to them.
The schoolof Saramej has given more than 500 graduates in recent years, most of whom have got higher education and many of them have occupied their places in public economy and science.
Before the earthquake, in Soviet period, when there was a sugar producing factory in Spitak, sugar beetroot was cultivated in the village, and it was delivered to the factory as a raw-material.
The cattle-breeding (cows, sheep, goats, pigs) meets the demands of the population in everyday life.
The principal fruits are pear, apple, cherry. Many berries and herbs grow in mountains and forests.